Report: Travel ban to be replaced with broader vetting


The Trump administration is preparing to replace the president’s ban on travel from six majority-Muslim nations with more targeted screening of visitors from a broader list of nations, according to a news report Friday.

The six-nation ban will expire Sept. 24, leaving the administration a small window in which to replace the policy or let it fade away.

“The Trump administration will ensure we only admit those who can be properly vetted and will not pose a threat to national security or public safety,” a White House official told POLITICO.

The Homeland Security Department submitted a report to the White House late last week that listed countries that failed to provide detailed vetting information requested by the administration.

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that 17 countries had initially been flagged for inclusion on the list, but that roughly half of those nations were able to comply with the vetting standards. Those countries would not be subject to a blanket travel ban, according to the Journal.

One former DHS official with knowledge of the changes told POLITICO the new policy could impose additional interviews, screening and background checks from the enumerated nations. The vetting measures could also include social-media screening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *